Labels:

Explore and share… who is Jacqueline Simmonds ?



Table Runner, Heavenly Blues

-Bio artist: Jacqueline Simmonds
I have been crafty all my life but only started to think about selling my work recently. I have been out of work for a long time and have only been able to get part time work or occasional consulting gigs for the past 2 1/2 years. What I sell helps me to survive and it is something that I can do whenever the mood or the time availability strikes.
-Where are you originally from?
I am originally from England. I moved to the US as a kid.
Her Shop Name
Amherst Quilt Company
-How did you choose the lovely name for your Shop?
Jackie_SimmondsMy daughter said that my other idea was stupid. So I went with the more traditional name. Plus have it start with an "A" supposedly helps you in listings.
Do you sell your products in many places ? tell us some of them ?
I primarily sell on Etsy. I have been starting to go to craft shows. I also have a Facebook page linking to Etsy. Word of mouth among my friends.
-How did you find the site who you sell and who it this (name) ? How long have you been selling on this site ?
I have been selling on Etsy for a little over a year. I ended up at that site after a crafty friend recommended it.
-How would you describe your style? Have any other artists etc influenced your style?
Traditional person who is learning to "step outside the box".
- How did you first come to art and creativity? How did your journey in art and creativity begin?
There is a lot of creative energy in my English family and I must of inherited it too.
Baby Blankets
-How long have you been creating?
All my life.
-What is it that you love so much?
I love experimenting with color, design. When I can't sleep I lay in bed and think about ways to use certain material or how I can translate things I have seen during the day into a project. It is just fun to dream about all the possible combinations.
-What are your main sources of inspiration?
I think it is equal parts color and pattern. One of the two always hits me and they the rest falls into place.
-Have you had any mentors, or are you self taught?
Self taught.
-Do you sell more at one time of year than others?
I am just starting to hit my stride so I don't think I have enough data yet to say what works best for me.
Quilt, Emerald Green Fun
-What is one thing about your creative process that you think most people don't know?
I use my 14 year old daughter as a sounding board. I don't always agree with her but it is nice to have someone to talk to about ideas.
Have some tips and advices for new artisians ?
Keep trying. Keep practicing. Watch what people are really buying not just what you want to make. Then expand off what they are buying carrying a "thread" to the new item.
-How has life affected your art and art affected your life?
The biggest thing has been time. Since I have so much down tome it means I can actually work on many things and as a result I have gotten better, more accurate, and learned new techniques.
-Do you have a favorite item you have made?
I will love a particular item --- until my new love comes along. I mostly just love trying new things.
-What is the best reaction you have gotten from one of your pieces?
"I promised myself I would only buy something at the craft fair if I truly loved it. And I love your quilt!"
Something else who you want to tell us about you ?
-Your message for all of us?
Explore and share. Your experience helps others learn and grow.