Labels:

I am really a deeply spiritual person - ZoraidaBbros

Zoraida Bros:
I have been creating jewelry for most of my life. Always fascinated by the artistic creations of world cultures. I'm particularly drawn to ancient and timelessly beautiful jewelry that surpasses fashion and fads.
Her Shop Name
zoraida

shop artfire
There is something special about things made by human hands that cannot be duplicated by machines. A little bit of the soul of the person who creates something becomes part of the object created. That is what is so unique and wonderful about handmade.
Everything I make is inspired by nature so this is a recurring theme in my work. I try to design each piece of jewelry as if it were the only one I ever made. Each item is unique and one of a kind although at times, a similar theme will repeat itself just like in nature.
When I am not creating jewelry, I am taking photos, drawing animals and nature, crocheting something, making anything creative, playing my guitar, playing taiko drums or gardening.
There are just so many wonderful things to do. One never stops learning!
-Where are you originally from?5I was born in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico but have lived in New York all my life.
-How did you choose the lovely name for your Shop?
The name of my shop was simple to choose. I wanted it to say "me", so Zoraida was the most obvious choice.
Do you sell your products in many places ? tell us some of them ?
Aside from my shop on Artfire, I also have online shops on http://handmadeartists.com/shop/zoraida and http://www.zibbet.com/Zoraida. I've also created my own websites at http://zoraidajewelry.com and http://art-zjewelry.com. I don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket.
I love the fact that Handmade Artists Shops are strictly handmade!
I also sell at a few shows a year.
-How did you find the site who you sell and who it this (name) ? How long have you been selling on this site ?
I found Artfire some years ago through an online search for an Etsy alternative. It was not as well known then as it is now. I'm glad I chose Artfire and have been there since 2009.
-How would you describe your style? Have any other artists etc influenced your style?
I think of my style as ethnic, chic, bohemian, tribal and often rustic. Many artists inspire me. My first wire work dvd was by Sharilyn Miller.
- How did you first come to art and creativity? How did your journey in art and creativity begin?
I was born a creative person. I started drawing and painting as a child. Later I explored fiber arts like crochet, sewing and embroidery. I taught myself calligraphy and lettering (before computers), how to read music and play classical guitar and numerous other creative arts.
-How long have you been creating?
Since I was a very young child. Creativity is something you're born with. You either nourish it or let it fade away.
-What is it that you love so much?
I love to create. I love all things made by hand, not machines. I love folk arts, nature, animals and nusic.
-What are your main sources of inspiration?
Nature is my main source of inspiration. Trees, flowers, plants, birds, oceans, mountains are all I need to feel inspired.
-Have you had any mentors, or are you self taught?
Although I am always looking at the wonderful works of other artists, I am completely self taught. I do have a collection of books which sometimes help ignite a creative spark when I'm feeling stuck. I have taught myself everything I presently know in many fields from jewelry making to studying natural health (I have a BS in Natural Health/Herbal Studies).
-Do you sell more at one time of year than others?I sell more at shows than online and most of these are seasonal staring in early Spring. Other than that, I don't have any particular time of year that is more profitable than another.
-What is one thing about your creative process that you think most people don't know?
I doubt many people realize how much thought goes into the creative process. I can't simply find a pattern and duplicate it. I don't even duplicate my own work. Each piece sort of evolves and grows. A seemingly simple design may have taken days to manifest. It may have started as just a feeling. I keep a sketch pad handy to capture fleeting bits of inspiration and ideas and refer to it often.
Have some tips and advices for new artisians ?
I think any new artisan needs to explore what they truly love and find a way to depict it. Lucky for us today, there is a wealth of information and inspiration at our disposal from internet searches and books and classes. There is very little you can't learn. Learning anything is so much easier today.
-How has life affected your art and art affected your life?
Art has always been part of my life. The big difference now, is that I have more time to devote to it. I'm no longer working for someone else doing something I don't like 9-5:00 and wishing I were doing something creative instead. Now, my day revolves around MY art. I'm so glad I retired early!!
-Do you have a favorite item you have made?
I have several favorite items I've made but I'd have to say that perfecting my little bird's nests jewelry is number one.
-What is the best reaction you have gotten from one of your pieces?The best, most rewarding reaction I receive from one of my pieces is having someone tell me how unique it is and that they've never seen anything like it. I love hearing that because it means I've succeeded at incorporating a piece of myself in my creation.
Something else who you want to tell us about you ?
I am really a deeply spiritual person in an unorthodox way and my creativity springs from a source that I believe we are all linked to.
-Your message for all of us?
Do what you truly love and love what you do. There is no other way.